Shatta Wale fails to perform at CAF Awards after taking $30, 000

Ghanaian Dance hall musician Shatta Wale did not perform at the 2017 CAF Awards which was held in Ghana yesterday although he was on the bill.

The programme which took place at the Accra International Conference Centre has come under serious criticism, after it occurred that only two Ghanaian artistes performed on the night.

Ghanaian diva Efya did the introduction with a rendition of Ghana’s National Anthem while Kidi, wrapped up the programme with a performance.

From Nigeria came Patoranking, Flavour, Phyno, Olamide and Wizkid. Toofan from Togo and Congo’s Fally Ipupa also performed.

Shatta Wale, the third Ghanaian artiste billed to perform, was conspicuously missing at the auditorium.

Speaking Sammy Flex on Zylofon FM on Friday, Shatta Wale explained that he declined to perform because the process by which he was approached by the organizers was disrespectful.

“I don’t have a contract with CAF. Nobody had contacted me. Two days to the event, then someone contacted me that CAF is offering $30,000. I have worked with CAF before and I know they don’t do things like that. Some of us should be very careful in this country. We are killing ourselves. I need to be paid well. This is my home. I have taken the money and nobody can take it from me because I didn’t sign any contract with anybody. I don’t know why somebody can just go and collect $30,000, come and give it to me and tell me to go and perform while I’ve not seen my contract,” he said.

He recounted that last year, the organizers of the award scheme engaged his services through the right procedure so he did not understand why things should change this time.

“When they (CAF) wanted me in Nigeria last year, they wrote emails two months to the event before we were able to seal a deal. We had a schedule. Here in Ghana, two days to the event, someone will call me and say he has $30,000, rush and come meet my manager. As a smart man, I’ll save the $30,000 first and that’s what I did. I then asked them to go and bring the contract to show who agreed that I take such an amount for a show of that nature. So disrespectful!” he fumed.

He added that what got him infuriated was the fact that he was not allowed to do sound-check.

“We were told we can’t have our sound check because they had closed. Meanwhile, the Nigerian acts had been allowed to do theirs. I drove my car and came back home. I don’t like nonsense!” he concluded.

Meanwhile sources say the Dance hall King did not avail himself for rehearsal on time hence his ‘inability’ to perform.

By: Kwame Dadzie/citifmonline.com/Ghana

 

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password