Ignore forensic audit rumours – GHAMRO
The Ghana Music Rights Organisation (GHAMRO) has disputed claims that the Attorney General has ordered a forensic audit into its activities.
In keeping with this, the organisation has asked its members, business affiliates and the general public, to treat the said report with disdain.
A statement signed by Prince Tsegah, the Head of Communications for GHAMRO, the organisation “has not received any official communique from the Attorney General’s office stating any of the matters raised in the fake press release making the rounds on social media platforms. This purported press release said to emanate from the Attorney General’s office states a number of factual inaccuracies which will be addressed in this press release.”
Read GHAMRO’s position on the matter below:
The newly elected GHAMRO board, led by Rex Owusu Marfo, paid a courtesy call on the Attorney General’s Office after elections, to formally introduce board members to Hon. Minister, Gloria Akuffo. During this meeting, the Attorney General (A.G), proposed to refer the all agitations concerning GHAMRO to the Ghana Cultural Forum (G.C.F) for mediation.
Subsequently the A.G set up a Ghana Cultural Forum Committee to mediate an impasse between the Board of GHAMRO and a group named United Concerned Members of GHAMRO (UNICOM-GHAMRO)
The Ghana Cultural Forum Committee Members were,
- PROFFESSOR ESI SUTHERLAND ADDY – Chairman (G.C.F)
- MS DORIS ADABASU KUWORNU – Member (G.C.F)
- MR. ASARE KONADU YAMOAH. – Member (G.C.F)
The following persons also played vital roles in the mediation process.
- MS NANA YAA ATTAFUAH – AG’s REP. (COPYRIGHT ADMINISTRATOR)
- MR. PATRICK BORTEY ALABI – SECETARY (G.C.F)
After (5) sittings, with the both parties, the Ghana Cultural Forum Committee finished its report and came out with these resolutions:
- A thorough audit of GHAMRO accounts from 2012-2016.
- An audit of accounts from January 2017 to June 2017 to ascertain the financial position of GHAMRO.
- A constitutional review committee should be set to review the 2012 & 2016 constitution.
- The (G.C.F) report also directed that a committee be constituted to set in motion plans to identify and procure services of a consultant to help the management of GHAMRO in the ongoing re –structuring exercise.
VISIT TO THE AG’s Office
On Wednesday November 1, 2017, the A.G invited mediating parties to discuss the way forward. At the said meeting, the Attorney Generals representative, the Solicitor General formally accepted the resolution between GHAMRO and the United Concerned Members of GHAMRO as signed at the end of the mediation and handed over copies of the committees report to the parties concerned.
One of the resolutions dictated that a 7 member constitutional review committee be set to review GHAMRO’s constitution for 2012 & 2016, with the following member composition:
- Two (2) GHAMRO Board Members.
- Two (2) Unicom –GHAMRO Members.
- (1) Representative from the Copyright Office.
- (1) Representative from Attorney General.
- The General Manager (GHAMRO).
Ghamro was represented at the meeting at the A.G’s office by Rex Owusu Marfo , Alhaji Ahmed Banda, Diana Hopeson , Kwesi Ernest, and Abraham Adjatey Chief officer for GHAMRO.
The United Concerned Members were represented by Randy Nunoo, George William Dickson, Sloopy Mike Gyamfi, John Mensah Sarpong and finally some members of the Carlos Sakyi led administration namely K.K. Kabobo, Amanzeba Nat Brew and Kwesi Adjapong (Pap Cad).
The fake press release purported to be issued from the AG’s office sought to create the impression that the constitutional review committee’s mandate is to put a new constitution together, conduct a forensic audit on GHAMRO accounts and finally organise a general election to select new board members for GHAMRO all within one year. This is not true.
- The factual situation is that the committee shall within twelve (12) months’ sit to review the 2012 & 2016 constitutions.
NB: The 12 months’ time frame does not include organising another general election as the fake release sought to portray.
- The type of audit to be carried out is not a forensic audit but rather a thorough audit.
NB: The fake press release used the word forensic which connotes criminality and that is not the case.
MANDATE OF GHAMRO BOARD
Notice is hereby served to GHAMRO members, business affiliates and the general public that, the current GHAMRO Board is still operational, since Board members were voted into power by the 2016 constitution, which is still valid. Until the constitutional review committee comes out with a draft constitution and approved by the members at an Annual General Meeting (A.G.M), the current leadership of GHAMRO shall still prevail over policy direction and other duties relating to the GHAMRO Board mandate.
By: Kwame Dadzie/citifmonline.com/Ghana